Sunday, March 16, 2008

My American hospitality

There comes a time not so often when you are shaken to your core. I went through such an experience recently - a very humbling experience it was....
I arrived in West Lafayette, a small teeny weeny university town. Upon arrival, I heard from my fellow GISMAites about a certain Michael Mullen and his Thursday dinners, which are free for all who wish to drop by. I was intrgued and secretly hoped to get invited. And I did get invited ...
Ok, to begin with, I share some classes with Michael who is almost twice my age and a Coast Guard veteran. He is an affable guy - a proud American. So, there was always some respect that I developed for him because of his age and his sometimes funny and direct comments in class - all of which were pretty thoughtful and insightful ...
Now, let's cut back to the dinner.
I and Viveik were picked up by Javier and his wife (who I suppose are regulars to these dinners) and we made a detour to Walmart on our way to Michael's house. Javier and his wife were shopping for something which they were supposed to use to make a special Peruvian drink. Caius brought some real German beer - the Becks.
We were greeted by Michael at the gate and he seemed so excited to have us and ushered us in and offered us drinks. We were later joined by Masa and his wife, Jeri (who happens to be my team mate in a subject). This couple is unique as Masa is Japanese and Jeri a Texan. Both equally warm and likable. Not to mention Ben and his girlfriend and Eric Schwarzkopf who also were in attendance.
Once the dinner was prepared, Michael called us all to assemble around the food and prayed for all and sundry in the world. His prayer was so simple and so touching - wanting the good of all. It reminded me of the times that we are living in. The simple, yet warm, hospitality that the Mullens extended to us - who were complete strangers to them till yesterday - humbled me no end. The food didn't matter. The bonding did. With Masa, with Jeri, with Michael himself and his wife, with Javier and his wife, with Ben, with Eric - I was feeling at home in the company of complete strangers. At home and liberated ....
I realized that the world needs more people like the Mullens. If it so happens, then the world can become a real society of humans - as the world deserves to be.
My heart prayed for the noble people I met and I hope that I can imbibe some of that goodness in me. I will say what Michael did at the end of his prayer that day ... Amen!

No comments: