Friday, April 18, 2008

An Earthquake forewarning from Nepal!

As it generally happens to electronic things after a couple of years of fairly rigorous use, the power adaptor for my notebook just gave way in dramatic fashion - with sparks and burning smell et al.
So obviously, my notebook has gone on a much deserved vacation - till the adaptor arrives that is or else, till I borrow an adaptor and get it to work on its weekend (I feel like a nasty boss having thought this out).
So, here was I - in the computer lab of my hostel - trying to figure out on Amazon the 'best' deal (if there is one!) to get a power adaptor quickly. I wasn't sleepy in particular, having slept all afternoon and evening yesterday. But then you know how it is when you haven't slept in the night - psychologically, you may feel a lil' drowsy and your mind can play a lil' with you (I feel sometimes its the mind's way of getting one up on us!).
As I was finalising 'the' deal, I felt as if the table was tipping a bit, in fact, swaying quite a bit. I thought, maaannn! I am really acting drunk drowsy! After a little effort to stop it from rocking, I went back to work. Then a guy sitting on a PC behind my back shouted, Did you guys feel anything at all??
Suddenly it dawned on me - and to the couple of pretty gals in the lab - that we weren't isolated in feeling that our tables were acting crazy. It was indeed, an earthquake!
One of the damsels then exclaimed, what's this? No warning from the authorities! I almost balked at her for this guffaw. Warning? About an earthquake?? Are you nuts? Thankfully I didn't utter those last words.
Then I was enlightened that she was from Nepal and she claimed that they get many small quakes like this one - just off and on - I could imagine now to whom that wonderfully sculpted body owed its shape! She went on to add that they were always forewarned!!!!!! I couldn't disagree anymore really.
Now, if I wasn't really woken up of whatever sleep I was in by that earthquake, I surely was shaken out of the slumber by these extraordinary exclamations of technological advancements in a country like Nepal. It made me feel like going to hide under a table or so - maybe she can predict some more things about some other things too - like I am watching her; which won't need any prediction though.
I thought to myself, is world so backward? Nepal can predict an earthquake while the most authorities here in US could do was update the government's official met webiste in minutes of the earthquake with its details - but unfortunately for the damsel, no forewarning!
The world is definitely full of mysteries and this one would definitely top my list - an earthquake forewarning! Maybe in coming years, US and the rest of the world would do well to keep asking the Nepalese authorities if they feel anything. What say?

1 comment:

Shruti said...

hey . how do you get the time to post such brilliant stuff on your blog! Awesome!! :-)