Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Surprising Ghajini ...

For a change, I am going to write about my take on a film. After reading the reviews, I didn't know whether my favourite actor's film was a good one or bad - an unusual dilemma for you never doubt the quality of an Amir Khan film!

Anyways, I saw it. I had listened to the songs and must admit, unlike his earlier films, I thought the songs weren't great. Or to put it differently, they didn't make me "wow" so much so that I just listened to them once and didn't recall any after that nor did I yearn to listen to them again. But, this is a clear case of wonderful music videos and not so great songs. Now, I listen to a Behka or a Aye Bachchu recalling the absolutely thrilling picturisation - something you won't forget once you see them!

Another thing which I never expected was a refreshing love story and a return to the ever so charming chocolate lover boy Amir we knew of yesteryears. Asin is probably the best among the crop of newcomers in the Hindi film industry - it helps that she is an established South superstar in her own right! She is refreshing, confident and pretty feisty an actress not to mention her captivating beauty - lovely eyes and what hair!

I found that the plot was okayish. Nothing to write about unlike other Amir films. Yet, somehow, you are very well entertained as the film has almost no dull moment. The writer and director must be congratulated for puling that one off. As Rajeev Masand and his likes point out, there are umpteen loopholes in the logic of the story. But when the best actor in the country puts his might behind even an utopian idea, we can have a blockbuster. This has nothing to do with Amir's star power, but, to the great execution. Asin should share the honours with Amir as even she has ably carried the film on her shoulders. On second thoughts, even if Murugadoss had made a good love story out of the story of the businessman and the struggling model, it might have turned out another blockbuster - such is the sub-plot's genuineness!

Anyways, this is an Amir film which is different from his recent ventures in that, its a real formula film but executed in a different way - with a lot of passion, fervour and I must say, style. I recommend a watch by everyone ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful review...now we all will surely go and watch :D Btw how much was you paid for promoting the movi .. huhhh :))

Anonymous said...

Hi amit..... Nice review. But do you know that Ghajini is the remake of a three year old tamil film - which was equally if not more successful.. Mind you, critics still claim that the original movie is far superior - that too sans amir khan and amir khan body.... I wonder why... now-a-days Hindi Cinema is incapable of producing any original hits....

Check out imdb.com for ghajini...